A baking morning yesterday - and this is all that's left of my favourite Date and Walnut loaf, adapted from my 1960s Dairy Book of Home Cookery which I thought I'd share with you.
My late mum gave me this book when I got engaged in 1969 and it has really done me proud. It never lets me down and comes out on numerous occasions. No matter what I want to cook/bake, there is always something I can find.
Here's the recipe:
250g self raising flour
1 teas mixed spice
125g caster sugar
100g chopped dates
50g chopped walnuts
5 tablespoons milk
1. Heat the oven to 180 c or gas mark 4. Grease and line base of a 2lb loaf tin
2. Sift flour and mixed spice into bowl and rub in margarine finely and add sugar
3. Mix together with egg and milk
4. Stir in the choppd nuts and dates.
5. Place mixture evenly in the tin. Bake for about one and a quarter hours
Sometimes, like today I bake it in a small square tin, slice it and add an orange flavoured butter cream just for a change and add a few walnuts on the top.